Thursday, January 10, 2013

The Danger of a Single Story



Chimanda Adichie's TED talk on "The Danger of a Single Story" has broadened my perspective of society and individuals. It made me realize that we have all fallen victim to stereotype's that have been influenced from the media. Our tendency to label people based on the an overemphasized single story of their ethnicity impedes us from identifying their individual personality.

Similarly, I learned from reading this video to not judge something before learning the story behind it. At first I assumed that the video on Chimanda Adichie's TED talk focuses on literature, however I was mistakend. It instead tackld a moral lesson, to avoid 

Adichie's talk influenced my approach on how I read Chinua Achebe's novel, Things Fall Apart. I tried to clear my mind from the single story of Africans' as living underprivileged lives under unsuitable conditions. Adichie's TED talk remained in the back of my mind as I read the first four chapters of Things Fall Apart. I began to develop distinct views on each character as I read these chapters, I realized that the moral behind Adichie's talk enabled me to realize that Ukonkwo and his father, Unoka, are direct opposites of each other; while Okonkwo was motivated to succeed and to be fierce, his father was an idle and gentle man. In fact, "Okonkwo was ruled by one passionto hate everything that his father Unoka has loved" (Achebe 13). 



No comments:

Post a Comment